This blog is aimed at the supporters of the Save Grassroots Football campaign. The campaign was launched in 2013 with the idea of encouraging the Government to secure a serious commitment from the Premier League to fund grassroots football.
You can find out more about the campaign here but I want to highlight an important way that you can help make the case for this change.
The Government have launched a public consultation to help develop their future strategies for sport. The document covers a wide range of topics, so whatever your interests are in the world of sport there’s plenty of ways to get involved and try to influence the Government’s plans. You don’t have to answer every question or respond to every point in the document, just the things that matter to you.
You can find all the information on the consultation here.
If you are a supporter of the Save Grassroots Football campaign and you want to help, please take a look at section 4 - Financial Sustainability. This is the part of the document which looks at the issues that we have been talking about and it is an ideal opportunity for members of the public to express their support.
I will be responding myself, but I want the Government to hear from the people involved with grassroots football and whose children or grandchildren have experiences of grassroots football. If football in your area has taken a step back in the last few years, explain how, if you see the need for investment explain why you think it is important.
I am sure that any examples from the world of grassroots football that show why a new settlement is needed will help make a difference. Let’s show what a difference this money would make to the next generation.
The consultation closes on 2nd October. Please share this information as much as you can and encourage people to take part.
- We want a firm commitment that the Premier League will give a share of TV broadcasting rights to grassroots football. A levy must be considered because the Premier League have shown they won’t do this voluntarily.
- This should include any International broadcasting deals.
- This is needed to give the sport the support it needs and a clear funding base
- If you have personal experiences, please share them
- You don’t have to answer every question in the consultation
- You can even send in a response via email to email@example.com